The original windows of this historic structurebuilt as a fraternity house in 1914 and now owned by the University Students Cooperative Associationwere wooden sash with true divided lites in the upper panes.
The building was designated a City of Berkeley Landmark on 4 January 1999. Sometime following the landmark designation, the 2nd- and 3rd-story windows were replaced with aluminum ones. The authentic muntins gave way to false onesinternal grilles between solid panes. The window replacemet appears to have been done without a permit from the Landmarks Preservation Commission.
What building is this? The former Theta Xi Chapter House, now Kingman Hall, at 1730 La Loma Avenue.
This grand old building deserves better. Read about its colorful history here.