Two East Bay churches mark Christmas centennials
Christmas Eve childrens concert at St. Joseph the Worker (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2007)
In the aftermath of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, East Bay population ballooned practically overnight, absorbing 200,000 refugees of which three-quarters remained permanently. To accommodate their burgeoning communities, Berkeley and Oakland acquired new housing developments, factories, and transportation routes, as well as a good number of churches.
Three of the earliest churches to be constructed after the earthquake were completed one hundred years ago this month. One of the threeFirst Presbyterian Church at Dana St. and Channing Waywas demolished in 1973. The other twoSt. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church at 1640 Addison Street and Shattuck United Methodist Church at 6300 Shattuck Avenueare still standing..
Read the stories of these centenarian churches.