Berkeley’s Two Campus Theaters
The Fox Campus Theater on Bancroft Way, December 1930 (Courtesy of Jack Tillmany)
In a university town, the existence of a cinema called Campus Theater is natural enough, but Berkeley went one further in having two such establishments succeed one another in close order. Both are long gone, although their buildings still stand.
The earlier of the two was designed by Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr. and opened in 1914 as the Majestic Theatre at 2510 Durant Avenue. The second was designed by James T. Narbett and opened in 1926 at 2440 Bancroft Way.
Read the story of the two Bancroft Theaters here.