The beauty of deserted industrial streetscapes
Cal Ink (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)
In 1964, Michelangelo Antonioni revealed the beauty of industrial wastelands in Red Desert.
While not necessarily wastelands, west Berkeleys industrial zones offer beauty in unexpected places. One of these is the California Ink plant at 13261404 Fourth Street.
Established here between 1900 and 1903, Cal Inknow Flint Ink, headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michiganis the oldest factory in Berkeley operating at its original location.
On Sundays (as when the photos in the article were taken), the gigantic deserted plant has an eerie beauty Antonioni would have appreciated.