The end for Hunrick Grocery
In better days (photo: BAHA archives)
The days of the historic Hunrick Grocery building appear to be numbered. This evening, the Landmarks Preservation Commission will conduct a preliminary public hearing on an application for a demolition permit.
The building at 2211 Rose Street, constructed by George Hunrick in 1908, was later renamed Rose Grocery and served as a small convenience store until 1966. Abandoned for the past 24 years, it now sadly dilapidated. In 1988, the building was designated a Structure of Merit for its special historic interest.
The applicant is proposing to replace the building with a residential duplex. A few of the existing architectural features are to be preserved.