Centennial birthday party for John Whites Rose n Arch
Rose n Arch (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2005)
Bernard Maybecks brother-in-law John White is best known for having designed the Le Conte Memorial Lodge (1904), a National Historic Landmark in Yosemite Valley, and for the Hillside Club (1924), replacing the Maybeck original that burned in the Berkeley Fire.
In 1905, White designed the large, rustic Wallace house on the corner of Rose and Arch Streets. This house would eventualy be owned by the famed geographer Carl O. Sauer.
Join us in celebrating the 100th Birthday of the Wallace-Sauer House, aka Rose n Arch.
Sunday, 13 November 2005
1340 Arch Street at Rose Street
2:00 to 4:00 pm
$20 per person
Howard Mel, Professor Emeritus: Memories of the Neighborhood
Richard Schwartz, Berkeley Historian: Berkeley in 1905
Horst Bansner, Homeowner: John White, Architect
Reminiscences by family members of early owners of the house
Birthday cake by Masses Pastries
Coffee by Peets Coffee & Teas
Seats are limited; please reserve early. Reservations will be held at the door.
To reserve, please send a check made out to BAHA to:
P.O. Box 1137
Berkeley, CA 94701
You may also order online via Paypal: