A visit to the U.S. Court of Appeals
Photo: Allen Stross, 2006
Kicking off BAHAs third annual Outings on Fridays series of guided tours, we visited the magnificent U.S. Court of Appeals Building at at Seventh & Mission Streets in San Francisco.
This imposing granite edifice was designed in the 1890s by James Knox Taylor, chief architect for the U.S. Treasury Department, to house the federal courts and the main San Francisco post office. When it opened in 1905, Sunset magazine called it the Versailles of the West.
See photos of the opulent interiors in our photo gallery.