15 December 2013

Julia Morgan, FAIA | 2014 AIA Gold Medal Recipient

On 12 December 2013, the American Institute of Architects Board of Directors posthumously awarded the AIA Gold Medal to Julia Morgan, FAIA, the early 20th-century architect whose copious output of quality work secured her position as the first great female American architect. Morgan is the first woman ever to be given the AIA Gold Medal. By receiving the award, Morgan was elevated to the College of Fellows. (The AIA National Board voted unanimously to waive the eligibility rules, in this instance, that require active membership in the AIA to be elevated to Fellowship.)

The AIA Gold Medal is the highest honor the AIA confers on an architect. It acknowledges an individual whose significant body of work has had a lasting influence on the theory and practice of architecture. Morgan’s legacy will be honored at the AIA 2014 National Convention and Design Exposition in Chicago.

Continue reading on the AIA website.

09 December 2013

Henrik Bull, FAIA (1929–2013)


Henrik Bull (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2009)

With the death of Henrik Bull on Tuesday, 3 December 2013, BAHA lost a dear friend. A modern architect who received his training under William Wurster when the latter was Dean of the School of Architecture at MIT, Henrik Bull was one of BAHA’s first presidents, serving in 1977–78. He had been a Berkeley resident for over 40 years and frequently attended BAHA events with his wife, Barbara.

Henrik’s connection with BAHA began in the mid-1970s, when four public school buildings (John Muir, Willard, Cragmont, and Jefferson) were threatened with demolition. Along with Carroll Brentano, Loren Partridge, and Anthony Bruce, Henrik visited the schools in order to identify historic features to be preserved. The campaign to preserve the four buildings was only partially successful. The Willard and Cragmont schools would be demolished and replaced with modern buildings. John Muir is still a public school, and Jefferson was sold and is now the private Crowden School.


Henrik Bull (2nd l) at a press conference during the campaign to save Willard Junior High School, 1976 (photo: Anthony Bruce)

During Henrik’s presidency, BAHA began focusing its attention on Downtown Berkeley. Installed in a new downtown office provided by the City of Berkeley, BAHA obtained and administered several grants for historic surveys.

In 2009, in conjunction with BAHA’s Spring House Tour, Maybeck Country: Hillside Houses of the Early- and Mid-20th Century, Henrik delivered the lecture Bay Area Architecture of the 1950s and 1960s, through which the public became acquainted with his early ski cabin designs and major resort projects.

In recent years, Henrik devoted a great deal of time and work in the cause of saving the Berkeley High School Old Gymnasium. He drew up a proposal for reuse of the Old Gym that unfortunately was not adopted by the Berkeley School Board. In August 2010, Henrik co-led the Berkeley High School portion of a BAHA walking tour in Berkeley’s Civic Center.

On 14 October 2013, Henrik participated in a panel following the screening of the documentary Coast Modern, in which he is featured.

Most Bay Area residents are acquainted with Henrik’s 1981 design for the Point Reyes National Seashore’s Bear Valley Visitor Center. The barn-like structure was designed to blend in with the historically significant ranching culture in the area.


The Bear Valley Visitor Center (courtesy of Bull Stockwell Allen)

The following biographical notes were published by the U.C. Berkeley Environmental Design Archives, where the Henrik Bull Collection, 1950–2009 is archived.

Henrik Helkand Bull (1929, New York City) is the only child of Johan Bull (1893–1945) and Sonja Geelmuyden Bull (1898–1992). Johan Bull, a native of Norway, was an illustrator who had regularly contributed to New Yorker magazine. A cousin of Bull’s grandfather, also named Henrik Bull, designed several of Oslo’s landmark civic buildings at the end of the 19th century.

Bull began his studies at MIT in aeronautical engineering, and switched to architecture after the first year. While at MIT he studied with Ralph Rapson, Buckminster Fuller, and Alvar Aalto. Prior to his graduation from MIT in 1952, Bull worked the summer of 1951 in San Francisco with architect Mario Corbett. As a first lieutenant in the USAF, Bull was stationed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory and worked with Buckminster Fuller on developing the geodesic radar domes for the Distant Early Warning Line (DEW Line) system at the north slope of Alaska. He built an early A-frame ski cabin in the United States with his friend John Flender in Stowe, Vermont in 1953. In 1954, Bull returned to San Francisco to work again with Mario Corbett.


Henrik Bull’s first Sierra Nevada ski cabin, 1955 (courtesy of Bull Stockwell Allen)

On the basis of being commissioned to design several ski cabins, Bull opened his own architectural office in 1956. His early practice included homes, condominiums and later hotels and institutional buildings. In the 1950s and the 1960s, Bull designed several prefabricated or kit cabins. In 1962, he was chosen to design the Sunset Magazine Discovery House: a “dream house” limited to 2,000 square feet. Bull designed the home as a series of four sky-lit pavilions built around an enclosed courtyard. It was the first home built in the newly established town of El Dorado Hills.

In 1967, Henrik Bull, John Field, Sherwood Stockwell and Daniel Volkmann formed Bull Field Volkmann Stockwell. Their first large project together was the planning and architecture for Northstar at Tahoe, a new four-season resort. The firm has continued under the following names: Bull Field Volkmann Stockwell; Bull Volkmann Stockwell; Bull Stockwell Allen; Bull Stockwell Allen & Ripley; and is now called Bull Stockwell Allen/BSA Architects.

Classified in both the Northern California Modern and the Bay Regional Styles, the question of an appropriate architecture for its location has always been Henrik Bull’s main concern. He feels that a building of quality does not unnecessarily disturb the site and should be comprehensible to everyone and that creating lasting architecture can be achieved by placing priority on client needs and relationship to the site.

Bull has been elected Vice President (1967) and President (1968) of the American Institute of Architects/San Francisco Chapter (AIA SF), and elected to Fellowship in National AIA in 1969.


BAHA Art Deco party, 30 September 1976. L to r: Bianca Bruce, Henrik Bull, Anthony Bruce, Lesley Emmington, Shirley Dean, Lee Davenport, Todd Withy, Brad Paul (photo: Robin Freeman)

Henrik Bull’s obituary by his BSA colleagues:

It is with a heavy heart we said goodbye to a firm founder and dear friend, Henrik Bull last week. Henrik H. Bull died on December 3, 2013 at his home in Berkeley after battling illness. He was a formidable and talented architect, a mentor and inspiration to many. Although officially retired from the firm for the last 10 years, Henrik was a regular in the office, offering his consultation and expertise, reminding us that sometimes the simplest solution is often the best. His snow-country design expertise and prescribed solutions to ice and snow continue to mark important firm hallmarks.

Henrik grew up on the East Coast and graduated from MIT in 1952. Moving to San Francisco, he opened an office in 1956 and began his architectural career designing award-wining homes in the Bay Area and around Lake Tahoe, including designing one of the first Sunset Discovery homes. In 1968 he and Daniel Volkmann, Wood Stockwell and John Field founded, Bull Field Volkmann Stockwell Architects, which soon won a competition for planning a new Capitol for the State of Alaska.

A passion for skiing naturally led Henrik to be a pioneer in planning and designing the mountain resorts that grew along with the expanding sport of skiing. A principal, he was in charge of major projects ranging from Stowe, Vermont, to Beaver Creek, Colorado, Squaw Valley and Northstar in California. Honored as a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, his 43 major architectural awards include those in California for the Tahoe Tavern Condominiums, the Visitor’s Center at Point Reyes National Seashore, the Northstar Resort in Truckee and the Inn at Spanish Bay, Pebble Beach.

Numerous magazines published Henrik’s work, ranging from Sunset to Architectural Record. Recently, his history as a mountain resort expert was featured in a new book by Margaret Supplee Smith entitled American Ski Resort: Architecture, Style, Experience. The book explains how the experience of skiing for most Americans is inextricably linked to architecture, for our journey down the mountainside is shaped by the ski resort. She describes Henrik and our firm as designing more than 80 mountain projects, including Spruce Saddle Lodge and Poste Montane Lodge at Beaver Creek and the Outpost Day Lodge at Keystone.

Above all, Henrik was a wonderful man. His warmth and passion for his craft were contagious. He was generous with his time and his wealth of experience. Henrik’s stories were as infamous as his expert status on the slopes. We miss him. His work will continue to inspire the firm, other architects and building users for generations to come.

 

Further reading:

Henrik Bull: Buildings that Belong (Dave Weinstein in the San Francisco Chronicle, 16 September 2006).

Henrik Bull, architect who restored buildings, dies (John King in the San Francisco Chronicle, 7 December 2006).

Henrik Bull in Pacific Coast Architecture Database.

Henrik Bull in archINFORM.

14 November 2013

BAHA’s Friday Outings return!

McConaghy House

Friday, 6 December 2013
11:00 am
$15 by reservation

BAHA board member Sally Sachs is planning the next series of our popular Friday Outings guided tours. The first outing is to the historic McConaghy House (1886) in Hayward. This Stick-Eastlake farmhouse was built for Neal and Sarah McConaghy by John Haar, Sr., who later became mayor of Hayward.

The house is beautifully furnished with period pieces and original McConaghy family artifacts. Tour goers will see notable stained-glass windows, impressive fireplaces, original wallpaper, and much more. The house will be decorated for Christmas in the tradition of 1886.

Reserve your tickets online or by mail. For mail orders, please send your check with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:

BAHA
Friday Outings
P.O. Box 1137
Berkeley, CA 94701

13 September 2013

The Rose Walk Story, Step by Step: Berkeley’s Rose Walk Centennial, 1913–2013

Fireside Meeting Talk
Monday, 7 October 2013, at 7:30 pm
Hillside Club, 2286 Cedar Street, Berkeley

John Underhill, grandson of Dr. W.W. Underhill who helped oversee the building of Berkeley’s Rose Walk, will relate its history and some history of the Euclid Avenue neighborhood, Codornices Park, and the Rose Garden. Rose Walk was designed by Bernard Maybeck in 1913, and we are celebrating its centennial year.

Victorian Alliance Mission District House Tour

Sunday, 20 October 2013
1 pm to 5 pm

The interiors of seven beautiful Victorian houses in the Mission District’s “Mansion Row” will be open to the public on the Victorian Alliance of San Francisco’s Fall House Tour.

Represented are Queen Anne, Italianate, and Stick-style houses designed by the likes of Henry Geilfuss, Julius Kraft, and Peter Schmidt.

Information & Tickets at VictorianAlliance.org.

02 September 2013

Berkeley Historical Society Fall 2013 Walking Tours

Tours start at 10 am and end at approximately 12 noon. Sometimes they are slightly longer, so some extra time should be allowed in case the walk meets an informative passerby or dwells at an interesting site. Tours are limited to 30 paying participants unless noted otherwise. Pre-paid reservations are required and tickets are not refundable. Tours are conducted in rain, shine, or Berkeley fog and are wheelchair accessible unless otherwise noted.

Tickets: BHS members $8, general $10
Order tickets here.


Civic Center Park (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)

Saturday, 21 September 2013
New Deal Nexus in Berkeley
Led by Harvey Smith

The walk will explore Berkeley High School, Community Theater, Civic Center Park, Post Office art, The Old Farm Credit Bank Building, and a remarkable mosaic mural on the U.C. campus.


Bonita Hall (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2009)

Saturday, 28 September 2013
Architectural Tour of North-Central Berkeley
Led by Daniella Thompson

The neighborhood north of University Avenue between Shattuck Avenue and Martin Luther King, Jr., Way (formerly Grove Street) began as farmland, subdivided after train service to downtown Berkeley was inaugurated in 1876. With the arrival in 1891 of electric streetcars on Grove Street, the area’s development received a boost, accelerating as the line was extended from University to Cedar in 1902. The architecture spans the gamut from Victorian to modern, but the dominant style is Colonial Revival, fashionable between 1895 and 1905. We’ll visit notabale buildings and learn about the colorful characters who made their home in this neighborhood.


Normandy Village (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)

Saturday, 12 October 2013
Normandy Village
Led by Bill Roberts

A walk through Normandy Village, the first building of which was designed by W.R. Yelland for Jack Thornburg, the owner. Thornburg went on to design other buildings himself to create a village surrounding an open space that was eventually filled by other apartment buildings. Now a City of Berkeley landmark, the complex is known for its unusual architecture, often referred to as Storybook Style.


Halcyon neighborhood

Saturday, 16 November 2013
Cultivating a Sense of Place and a Place for a Commons: A Walking Tour of the (New) Halcyon Neighborhood
Led by John Steere

A walking tour of one of Berkeley’s oldest neighborhoods and one of its newest as well. Learn how the Halcyon Neighborhood was born in bringing neighbors together to create a common out of a parking lot, in building micro-parks, and in planting over a 100 street trees. Find out about other hidden gems of artful houses and gardens and the fascinating residential lore of neighbors who’ve experienced the changes in Halcyon across five decades. Halcyon is a quiet, quirky, and practically unknown neighborhood, tucked away between some of Berkeley’s best known and busiest streets: Ashby, Telegraph and Shattuck. The tour will be led by John Steere, the co-chair of the Halcyon Neighborhood Association and a couple of long-time residents who will share intriguing stories of its human and natural history—a place with a unique fabric, even by Berkeley standards.


Doe Memorial Library (photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004)

Saturday, 14 December 2013
The Campus of John Galen Howard
Led by Steven Finacom

A century ago, John Galen Howard was in the midst of an architectural heyday and a two-decade tenure as U.C.’s Supervising Architect. Many of the grand buildings of the Berkeley campus, including Doe Library and the Hearst Mining Building, were finished and much admired; the Campanile was soon to rise, and Howard had a thriving private practice and was the head of a successful school of architecture. We’ll tour the campus core and see Howard’s buildings—from brown shingles to magnificent academic temples—and explore the campus master plan he refined in 1914 and 1917.

Come see us at the Solano Stroll


Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2007

Visit us on Sunday, 8 September 2013. The BAHA booth will be located at 1746 Solano Avenue, in front of By Hand boutique and next door to Pharmaca. The cross stree is Ensenada Avenue. Solano Stroll info.

17 July 2013

Living in the Berkeley Brown-Shingle House


Photos: Daniella Thompson


An illustrated lecture by Lucia Howard:


Living in the Berkeley Brown-Shingle House

Preceded by remarks by architect Christopher Wasney on the award-winning restoration of Alumnae Hall.

Thursday, 8 August 2013
Anna Head Alumnae Hall
2537 Haste Street, Berkeley

Lecture 7:00 pm; pre-lecture tour 6:00 pm

Tickets: $15
Purchase tickets by mail or online

Enjoy a summer evening in the recently restored Alumnae Hall—part of the historic Anna Head School campus and a recipient of a 2013 BAHA Preservation Award.

The evening is dedicated to celebrating Berkeley’s renowned brown-shingle architecture, of which the Anna Head School (1892) is one of the earliest exemples.

The Bay Area Shingle Style is as distinct from the East Coast version as San Francisco is from New York. In no place did Brown Shingle architecture, and all it represented, flourish and multiply so gloriously and exuberantly as in Berkeley. Architecturally adventurous clients—including scores of artists, writers, and professors—encouraged an extravagantly talented group of architects and designers to create houses designed around ideas that have come to define Berkeley. Environmentalism and passion for nature, freedom from social and institutional conventions, and belief in the value of expression and artistic pursuits—Brown Shingles represented these ideas both literally and conceptually. They were the “party houses” of their day. Social events and performances, readings and recitals, political and religious gatherings, animated and filled these houses. Though small by contemporary standards, Brown Shingles abound with built-in seats and easily spill outdoors, comfortably accommodating sizable groups. More than a century on, Berkeley’s Brown Shingles continue to embody the spirit of the place, its genius loci, far more clearly than any other architecture.

In her lecture, architect Lucia Howard, a partner in the innovative firm Ace Architects and co-author of the new book Shingle Style: Living in San Francisco’s Brown Shingles (Rizzoli, 2013), will elaborate on the unique traits of Berkeley’s beloved Brown Shingles, their history and variety.

Prior to the lecture, local historian Steven Finacom will lead a tour through the Anna Head campus, including an inside look of the old Study Hall and one of the classrooms. This tour is free of charge with a lecture ticket and requires advance reservation. The evening will conclude with a book signing.

Click the thumbnail to download the flier.

01 July 2013

:: Living with Arts & Crafts :: Fall Lecture Series

BAHA is pleased to announce three new fall lectures that will focus on many a Berkeleyan’s favorite topic. These lectures have never before been presented in California, and two of them are being created especially for BAHA.

All lectures will take place at the Hillside Club, 2286 Cedar Street, Berkeley.

Tickets: $15 per lecture, $40 for the series
Purchase tickets by mail or online

The Tiles of California Faience, Berkeley, Cal., 1913–1959

Thursday, 26 September 2013
7:30 pm

Speaker: Dr. Kirby William Brown (with Riley Doty)
Did you know that Berkeley was once home to a prestigious ceramics manufacturer? California Faience was established by William Victor Bragdon (1884–1959) and Chauncey Thomas (1877–1950), accomplished ceramicists from the East Coast. Thomas had studied at the Pratt Institute under Arthur Wesley Dow, and both Thomas and Bragdon studied at Alfred University under Charles Fergus Binns. In California, they became instructors at the California School of Arts and Crafts in Oakland.

California Faience created hand-crafted tiles and pottery for the high-end market. Their most famous and influential tile installations are to be found at Hearst Castle—a veritable treasure trove of tile. In this lecture, tile scholar Dr. Kirby William Brown, who is William Bragdon’s grandson, will present a retrospective showing the entire range of beautiful pottery and tiles made by the California Faience company, including early work by Chauncey Thomas. Featured will be several unique custom tile commissions that have never before been documented, along with a review of the tiles at Hearst Castle and examples of many architectural installations in the Berkeley area.

Dr. Brown is currently writing the definitive book on the subject and will curate the exhibition Of Cottages and Castles: The Art of California Faience (22 Feb.–17 May 2015) at the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento.


Sitting in Style: The Birth of a New Furniture Design

Thursday, 24 October 2013
7:30 pm

Speaker: Timothy L. Hansen
In this illustrated talk, Arts & Crafts scholar Timothy L. Hansen will present little-known information about the beginnings of the American Arts & Crafts Mission-style furniture. He will focus on furniture design from 1894 to 1900 in the San Francisco Bay Area, New York, and Grand Rapids, Michigan, with a new explanation of how the American Arts & Crafts furniture style emerged, and its consequences. The talk will conclude with a brief reflection on why Arts & Crafts still matter today. On display will be several pieces of pre-1900 Arts & Crafts furniture.


Progressive Leaded Glass in Turn-of-the-Century America

Thursday, 14 November 2013
7:30 pm

Speaker: Theodore Ellison
In this illustrated presentation, stained-glass designer and scholar Theodore Ellison will outline the development of decorative art glass as it grew away from the European tradition toward original idioms created by progressive artists, architects, and designers all over America. Focusing primarily on domestic work, the talk will look at various regional styles and will feature rarely seen images of leaded glass installations from private residences across the country.

26 June 2013

Oakland Heritage Alliance Summer Walking Tours

Oakland Heritage Alliance is offering its customary summer walking tours on Saturdays and Sundays between 6 July and 24 August 2013.

Tour-day admission: $10 members, $15 general.
If you join OHA or renew your membership on the day of the tour ($45 individual, $65 family), you attend the tour for free.

04 June 2013

Berkeley’s Two Campus Theaters


The Fox Campus Theater on Bancroft Way, December 1930 (Courtesy of Jack Tillmany)

In a university town, the existence of a cinema called Campus Theater is natural enough, but Berkeley went one further in having two such establishments succeed one another in close order. Both are long gone, although their buildings still stand.

The earlier of the two was designed by Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr. and opened in 1914 as the Majestic Theatre at 2510 Durant Avenue. The second was designed by James T. Narbett and opened in 1926 at 2440 Bancroft Way.

Read the story of the two Bancroft Theaters here.

29 May 2013

Maybeck Legacy Celebration Weekend

28–30 June 2013
Berkeley & San Francisco

Six events, four of them free, will mark Bernard Maybeck’s outstanding contributions to Bay Area architecture in this three-day celebration. The weekend is anchored by the Bay Area premiere screening of Paul Bockhorst’s new documentary film, Pursuing Beauty: The Architecture of Bernard Maybeck,” on Friday, 28 June, at the Town and Gown Club.


Guided tour of the Faculty Club


Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2009

Friday, 28 June 2013
1:00–2:00 pm
U.C. Berkeley Campus
Free admission
Meet at reception desk

The Faculty Club at U.C. Berkeley is a rambling brown-shingle and stucco structure built around a magnificent, baronial social hall and a residential wing, designed by Bernard Maybeck for the young organization of scholars in 1902. Located on the edge of Faculty Glade and expanded several times over the decades, the Club now accommodates hotel guests, daily meal service, and social events for Club members and the campus community.

Come for a free indoor and outdoor tour of the Club, guided by local historian Steven Finacom and members of the Club leadership. Explore this important piece of Maybeck heritage and learn about the Club’s on-going services and renovation plans. Both members and non-members are welcome to have a no-host lunch at the Club before the tour.


Bay Area film premiere:
“Pursuing Beauty: The Architecture of Bernard Maybeck”


Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2009

  Friday, 28 June 2013
Doors 7:00 pm
Program 7:30 pm
Town and Gown Club
2401 Dwight Way, Berkeley

Sold Out

The filmmaker and a Maybeck family member will speak after the screening. Introduction to the Town and Gown Club by Trish Hawthorne

The Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association will present the Bay Area premiere screening of Paul Bockhorst’s new documentary, “Pursuing Beauty: The Architecture of Bernard Maybeck,” at the historic Town and Gown Club, designed by Maybeck in 1899.

Paul Bockhorst is an Emmy Award–winning filmmaker known for his architectural documentaries, which include “Greene & Greene: The Art of Architecture” and “Designing with Nature: Arts & Crafts Architecture in Northern California,” screened at past BAHA events.


Guided tour of the Palace of Fine Arts


Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2011

Saturday, 29 June & Sunday, 30 June 2013
10:00–11:00 am
San Francisco
These tours are full.

Join the Maybeck Foundation on a tour of San Francisco’s recently restored Palace of Fine Arts. This Maybeck masterpiece was hailed as the finest structure built for the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, and is the only remaining legacy on the site of what some have called the greatest world fair of all time. Learn about the Exposition and Maybeck’s vision for his iconic Palace.


Afternoon reception at Maybeck’s Chick House


Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2007

Saturday, 29 June 2013
3:00–5:00 pm
Tickets: $35 by reservation only
Purchase tickets by mail or online

Visit Bernard Maybeck’s fabulous Guy Hyde Chick House (1914). View owner Foster Goldstrom’s extensive art collection. Meet and greet filmmaker Paul Bockhorst, Maybeck family members, Maybeck scholars, and other luminaries. Enjoy wine and delectable edibles.


Guided walking tour in Maybeck’s First Church vicinity


Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2004

Sunday, 30 June 2013
1:30–2:30 pm
First Church of Christ, Scientist
2619 Dwight Way, Berkeley
Free admission
Meet on the corner in front of the church

BAHA board member and local historian Steven Finacom will lead a walking tour through the Southside neighborhood surrounding the First Church of Christ, Scientist—Berkeley’s only National Historic Landmark, designed by Bernard Maybeck in 1910.

Learn about other buildings—both notable and humble—in the vicinity, and how they contribute to the historic context and streetside fabric.


Open House at First Church of Christ, Scientist


Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2007

Sunday, 30 June 2013
3:00–5:00 pm
First Church of Christ, Scientist
2619 Dwight Way, Berkeley
Free admission

Friends of First Church will host this event, featuring the following attractions:
  • Organ interlude
  • Maybeck’s work on designing Principia College, a talk by John Guenther, FAIA
  • Maybeck family members and mementos
  • Display of Maybeck’s Principia work
  • Maybeck’s architectural plans and sketches from Church archives
  • Picture Gallery with dramatic 3D digital scans of the Church
  • Reception in the Fireplace Room

For further details, see the Friends of First Church website.

15 May 2013

The Spring 2013 Newsletter is online

Issue No. 141 of the BAHA Newsletter print edition is now available for reading online.

In this issue:
  • Our neglected Civic Center
  • Endangered historic house on Regent Street
  • The two Campus Theaters
  • Claremont Hills
  • A tribute to Alko Office Supply (1908–2013)

14 May 2013

Annual Meeting & Preservation Awards

Thursday, 30 May 2013
The Hillside Club, 2286 Cedar Street, Berkeley

6:30 Social Hour—No-Host Wine Bar
7:00 Buffet Dinner ($25 by reservation)
7:30 Business Meeting & Election of Directors
8:00 Preservation Awards Presentation
  Dessert

To reserve dinner (catered by Bacheeso’s), please send a check for $25 per person to BAHA, P.O. Box 1137, Berkeley, CA 94701.

Checks must be received by Saturday, 25 May (please include names of guests). You may also pay online via PayPal.

We need volunteers to help set up, serve, and clean up!
Let us know if you want to help.

01 May 2013

Help restore Fountain Walk and Circle


Photo courtesy of FOFW

Friends of the Fountain and Walk (FOFW) is a Berkeley neighborhood 501(c)3 non-profit organization that needs your help. They are nearing the end of an initial fundraising campaign that began two years ago to repair the deteriorating balusters at The Circle and along Fountain Walk. They ask for your contribution today to help us complete this important work.

Just as it was envisioned to be more than 100 years ago, the Fountain at The Circle is the pulsing heart of the city’s north side—a Beaux Arts icon that, with its surrounding balustrade and nearby Fountain Walk, recalls the city’s rich architectural past.

Designed by University of California campus architect John Galen Howard and sculptor Arthur Putnam, the restored Fountain proudly stands today as an outstanding example of a privately funded public work of art. With the generous help of people like you and the hard work of hundreds of volunteers, FOFW have moved forward and formed a successful partnership with the city for its ongoing maintenance and repair.


Photo courtesy of BPWA

Currently, FOFW’s fund-raising focus is the replacement of more than 75 damaged balusters around The Circle and along Fountain Walk. Today they are approximately $25,000 short of their goal of $75,000 in funds raised.

FOFW ask for your generous contribution of any amount to support the effort to restore this historic, esthetic, and economically significant benefit to the North Berkeley area. Please send a tax-deductible check today to:

Friends of the Fountain and Walk
c/o Sara Holmes
946 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94707

For additional information, e-mail FOFW: fountainandwalk@gmail.com

04 April 2013

Benicia Vintage Home & Garden Tour

Saturday, 11 May 2013
11:00 am–4:00 pm

Tickets $25 advance; $30 tour day

The Benicia Historical Society’s tour will feature vintage homes and charming gardens. Tour goers will see the interiors of some of Benicia’s architectural treasures and visit amazing gardens during the height of the spring blooming season.

Tickets will be available starting 10 April at Benicia Main Street, Bookshop Benicia, and Camellia Tea Room in downtown Benicia, and Steve’s Hallmark at the Southampton shopping center. Proceeds will benefit Benicia Historical Society programs, including restoration of the Von Pfister General Store.

For additional information, contact Vicki Cullen (707) 315-6434 or Jerry Hayes (707) 746-6689.

11 March 2013

BAHA Spring House Tour in Claremont Hills

Sunday, 19 May 2013, one to five o’clock

Claremont Hills: Historic Homes Above the Claremont Hotel is the focus of our 2013 Spring House Tour.

Tour-day ticket booth will open at 12 noon in front of John Muir School, 2955 Claremont Avenue.

The houses that will be open on this year’s BAHA tour are all survivors of the 1991 Oakland Hills Fire. They were constructed between 1909 and 1941 for well-to-do families by leading architects and designers of their day, including Albert Farr; Louis Christian Mullgardt; William C. Hays; William R. Yelland; Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr.; Vickery, Atkins & Torrey; Clarence Tantau; William E. Schirmer; Archie Newsom; and Louis Engler.

For complete information, see the House Tour page.

Tour map, illustrated guidebook & refreshments provided
General $40; BAHA members $30
(see discount limits)

Order tickets online or use the ticket order form.

21 February 2013

Save the Berkeley Post Office

Come to the U.S. Postal Service Public Hearing
Ben Franklin (Josh Kornbluth) will be there in person!
Rally starts at 6 pm, Tuesday, 26 February
USPS Hearing starts at 7 pm

More info at Save the Berkeley Post Office

BAHA’s letter to the USPS

15 February 2013

2013 BAHA Spring House Tour

Sunday, 19 May, 1 to 5 o’clock


Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2013

Trish Hawthorne lectures on Thousand Oaks history

The Story of Thousand Oaks
Illustrated lecture by Trish Hawthorne
Thursday, 21 February 2013
7:00 pm
Thousand Oaks Baptist Church Auditorium
1821 Catalina Ave at Colusa

The Thousand Oaks Neighborhood Association presents an illustrated talk by local historian Trish Hawthorne at its annual meeting. The lecture will focus on residential development from 1909 to 1930. Admission is free.

07 February 2013

Outings on Fridays (& Wednesday)

Our popular series of guided tours, organized by Sally Sachs, returns this spring. Lunch is optional and not included in tour price. Lunch reservation must be made at least 5 days prior to each tour.

Tickets: $15 per tour or $40 for the series


Courtesy of Sanfranman59
  Friday, 1 March 2013
11:00 am

Haas-Lilienthal House
San Francisco

The Haas-Lilienthal House was designed by Peter R. Schmidt in 1886. The only house of that era open to the public in San Francisco, it beautifully exemplifies upper-middle class life in the Victorian era. Built in the Queen Anne style, the house features prominent open gables, varied styles of shingles and siding, and a turreted corner tower topped by a “witch’s hat” roof.


Courtesy of Precita Eyes Mural Arts
  Friday, 5 April 2013
11:00 am

Mission District Murals Tour
San Francisco

San Francisco boasts more than 600 street murals, and the colorful Mission District has by far the greatest concentration of them. Tour goers will be introduced to the murals of 24th Street and the unique Balmy Alley mural environment.


Courtesy of David Ball
  Wednesday, 5 June 2013
11:00 am

Dunsmuir-Hellman Historic Estate
Oakland

Located on 50 acres of landscaped grounds, the Dunsmuir House was designed by San Francisco architect J. Eugene Freeman. The 37-room, 16,224-square-foot mansion includes a Tiffany-style dome, wood paneled public rooms, 10 fireplaces, and inlaid parquet floors. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

To order tickets, print and fill out the ticket order form and mail it with a check made out to BAHA and a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:
BAHA
Outings on Fridays
P.O. Box 1137
Berkeley, CA 94701

You can also pay for tickets by credit card via PayPal (see instructions).

03 February 2013

Berkeley’s Vanished Horse Cars, Steam Trains, and Street Cars


Downton Berkeley in 1909

Sunday, 17 February 2013
2:00 to 4:00 pm
Berkeley History Center
1931 Center Street

Phone: (510) 848-0181

As part of the Berkeley Historical Society’s Speakers Series, local transportation historian Phil Gale will give an illustrated talk on the history of Berkeley’s public transit from the first horse car and stream trains through the Key System’s streetcars and the Southern Pacific “red trains” until the founding of AC Transit in 1960.

Phil Gale is co-curator of BHS’s current exhibit, Vanished Berkeley. He also curated an earlier exhibit titled History of Early Berkeley Transportation. He is a member of the East Bay Model Engineers and the Western Railroad Museum.

31 January 2013

Viewing the restored Cheney Cottage


Photo: Daniella Thompson, 2013

The Cheney Cottage was one of two houses built by the “American Turgenev” and located at 2241 and 2243 College Avenue, on land that was eventually swallowed by the U.C. campus. The cottage was built in 1902 by contractor Carl Ericsson and used as rental property. The design appears to have been inspired by Maybeck’s Boke House on Panoramic Way.

In 2009, the university offered the two houses for sale. The older house, a Victorian, received no offers and was demolished. The cottage was sold, and after a long saga involving a move to an interim location, was brought to 62nd Street, where it was lovingly restored.

See a few photos of the restored cottage here.

08 January 2013

Victorian Society in America reception & summer schools

BAHA members and followers are cordially invited to attend a reception sponsored by the Victorian Society in America on Friday, 8 February 2013, 5 pm to 8 pm. The reception will be held in Ian and Maggie Berke’s historic home at 2824 Clay Street, San Francisco.

The evening will include:

Graduate students, curators, architects, interior designers, preservationists, and others interested in the arts and architecture spanning the colonial period through the mid-20th century would greatly benefit from the summer school experience.

The Summer School programs include lecture, bus and walking tours of historic sites in Newport, RI or London and surrounding towns. They provide an opportunity to learn about historic trends in architecture and interior design, tour homes seldom shown, enjoy the company of like-minded students from graduate level to older adults whose interests range from curatorial work to Historic Preservation. The courses also help establish networks in the field.

If you are interested in attending the reception, RSVP to Ian by e-mail or call (415) 921-7300 to reserve your place.